Search This Blog

Thursday, March 31, 2011

We really should start preparing for this thing called "kids".

As I shared with you last time, the closer these two boys get to enter the world the more unprepared I feel for their arrival. I mean, I can't get all the furniture I need in the room we're in, I can't get the old house packed up quick enough. I can't spend enough time with Kendra. It goes on and on and on.
Well, that all came to a head last night, as we had our first real bit of action. Kendra's blood pressure has been "elevated" for the last few weeks. That is one reason she has been on bed rest for the past few weeks. Well, last night it got high enough that we had to call the doctor. Since it was after hours we went in for evaluation. Of course, as soon as we got into the hospital her blood pressure was pristine, a beautiful 117/67. However, we still got to stay in the hospital for the night and then go home in the morning. (Don't freak out too much, just say a prayer that her blood pressure behaves itself for the next few weeks.)
Here's the crazy part. I now feel a little bit more prepared for these two beautiful boys. I now know what our stay in the hospital room will be like, uncomfortable beds and not much sleep. I also know where to park and enter the hospital. The hospital also now knows all of our pertinent information, so we can skip that check when we head in for the real deal.
I know that there are a few things I can control, like furniture, how many diapers we have, and crib setup. However, there are things I can't control like Kendra's blood pressure. Now I realize the most important thing I can control is my attitude toward this whole process. If I am crippled by worry, I will be worthless to my family. However, if I trust in the One who has true power I will be a blessing to my family. So, I choose to be present in this moment and treasure my beautiful wife, Kendra, who is a gift from God, and to cherish my sons, Ian and Nolan, who are a blessing from the Lord.

"Can anyone of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" - Matthew 6:27

No comments:

Post a Comment